Friday, October 22, 2010

Bret, Great Wolf, & the Truth

I've been behind on my blogging lately . . . I come up with all kinds of posts in my head but its just a matter of finding the time to do it and deciding on whether or not I think people would be interested.  I've been thinking of changing the blog name . . . the only thing I've thought of so far is something like "Down the Brown Dirt Road." Thoughts? Ideas?

Also, goodness knows I don't do this for the comments since hardly anyone leaves one (hint, hint), but I do get the most feedback on my more editorial posts as opposed to daily life in the Brown house so I've just been trying to find a good mix of the two and I name to fit.

Which leads me to the crazy title of this post!! A random sampling of what goes on in my head in a week!


First, Great Wolf was so much fun!!! Everyone had a great time! We also went to the Fort Worth Zoo, which was only about 25 minutes away, and I recommend everyone go - it was fun and the exhibits were nice!  Great Wolf was a little pricey but I really enjoyed that it was a place FOR KIDS!  If your kids were loud or had races from the elevators to your room, which mine did, no one even looked twice at you.  They sent me a survey yesterday telling them about my stay and I had lots of nice things to say.  My only two complaints were that it was cold in the waterpark! They boast about keeping it 84 degrees which would be OK if you were dry but not wet! Second was that everything there from water to ice cream to pizza was about twice what you would pay anywhere else.

This morning as I was driving home from taking Mason to school I realized that I left out my most serious complaint . . . PEPSI! Who drinks Pepsi? Not me . . . good thing I brought my own Coke's or else they would have heard about not having any Coke anywhere in the resort!

Now on to Bret Michaels! Any of you who know my  husband know he is a HUGE Poison/Bret Michaels fan.  I am embarrassed to say that I've even been to a Poison concert!  Bret's new reality show, Life as I Know It (I really wasn't paying attention when it came on so I'm not 100% sure that's what it is called), came on recently.  Ryan watched it while I was making my grocery list since he knew it wasn't something I'd want to watch with him; however, I couldn't help but listen (you know, like a train wreck, you can't help but look). 

Anyway, with a flip of his hand he said that whoever was up there was watching out for him and he was going to embrace his second chance at life after his medical issues.  So . . . Dear Bret - Whoever is named God and He goes by a lot of names but I don't think Whoever is one of them.  I also don't think that he really wants you to use your second chance as an opportunity to continue living with your girlfriend of 16 years and the mother of your two children . . . he created this thing called marriage and he'd like you to use it or move out.  And I'm pretty sure he didn't gift you with a voice for you to sing about "drugs, sex, and rock-n-roll," that doesn't give him much glory for your abilities.  I could go on but I won't . . . and please don't misunderstand this as me being perfect, because I do have one or two flaws (!), but I am trying and I think people with that sort of fame need to think about how their decisions influence others . . .

Lastly, I small snippet of something I'm learning, trying to comprehend . . . I am doing a Bible Study Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shrier and it's AWESOME! Do it if you ever have the chance.  Here is my question for me and you . . . if we believe God's Word is true, without error, embellishment, etc., that it is the literal word of God, then how come we are so hesistant to follow His will even when he tells us that He has it all figured out?  How can we believe a fish swallowed Jonah and Daniel sat in a den of lions if we can't believe that doing what He desires for us is best?  I'm just wondering why this is such a hard concept for me to understand and why I keep thinking my easy way is best?

2 comments:

The Doyals said...

Oh my dear Bret!!! What are we going to do with you? Mindy- you speak the truth!

Lauren said...

Hi friend! I'm finally back to checking my blogs! Anyone who likes to be in control (i.e., EVERYONE) has the same issues as you do with totally trusting God's will for your life. It has to be something that you give up DAILY (or even hourly!). Not that I completely have it down, but something that helps me is journaling.

The reason it helps with this particular area is it gives me the benefit of going back and seeing exactly how God's will looked in my life and how that played out in so many situations. Everything from who He selected me to marry (I thought for sure I was meant to marry Bo) to why my alarm clock didn't go off last week.

And if you can remember those ways that He took care of you in the past, then it will be a bit easier to trust Him in your current situation. You know?

Love you, friend! Keep speaking TRUTH!